Sunday, October 30, 2011

Autism temper tantrum

Well....he started off in a good mood. He was playing so sweetly with his matchbox cars. When he's in a good mood he asks me, "What's that?" Which means that he wants me to tell him what color car he is holding up. It's a game he and I play. Sometimes I can even get him to repeat back to me the color. I guess his little sister wanted some of the attention too so she rushed over and joined in the game. Families of autistic individuals know you must NEVER mess with their beloved possessions! LOL. (Which to Wyatt his ONLY his cars) Normally, I would have stepped in immediately and took the car away from my daughter and made her play with one of her toys and that would have been the end of it. However, since I had the video camera rolling, I decided to take the opportunity, to show you what an autistic melt down looks like. This melt down just happened to be a "mini" one and not a full blown one. A full blown one can last a few hours! He hasn't had a full blown one since he was 3 years old (so in a year). Typically in his case a full melt down would entail: *Throwing his cars off the table at people and at the wall *Crying and screaming *He once banged his head on the tile floor until he knocked himself unconscious (we now place him in his carpeted room). *Hitting people. My husband was in the backroom and saw our daughter run past him and hide under our son's bed with his car, followed shortly after our screaming autistic boy. My husband dragged my daughter out by her ankles ...

No comments:

Post a Comment